St Clare Hospice
Trustees – Finance & Medical
Unremunerated (reasonable expenses will be paid)
St Clare Hospice is a highly regarded independent charity providing comprehensive end-of-life healthcare for the West Essex and East Hertfordshire community. Building on the foundations of more than 25 years’ work, they support and care for people with terminal or life-limiting illnesses and their families and carers. Their core services include an 8-bed in-patient facility, Hospice at Home, and a range of day services, therapies, support and information for patients and their families. They also run a children’s bereavement service, and launched a Compassionate Neighbours project in early 2018: a volunteer-led programme aimed at reducing social isolation for people at the end of the life in their own homes.
St Clare Hospice is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee, receiving around 40% of its funding from the NHS. They rely on the generosity of their local community to fund the remaining 60% of costs. This comes from many individuals, events, local businesses, trusts, schools, community groups, their shops, their lottery and gifts in Wills.
The hospice is now entering the second year of a three-year strategic plan that aims to meet the needs of more people in the local area. The strategy places more focus on community outreach and effective collaboration with local health and voluntary sector organisations. They are now looking to augment and diversify their board with two additional trustees – a strategic finance professional and a medical specialist.
They are looking for a medical trustee who is an experienced GP or a specialist in a relevant specialism such as cardiology, oncology, neurology or frailty. You will be able to draw on your specialist experience and wider knowledge to open up new referral pathways for the hospice. They also seek an experienced strategic finance professional, ideally with some experience of charity financial accounting. In addition to your strategic experience, you will bring experience of leadership and governance within an organisation with service delivery at its heart. Both of these roles will offer both challenge and support the executive team as ‘critical friends’.
As important as your experience are your values, which need to be aligned to their own: focusing on care, teamwork, quality and integrity.
If you are interested in bringing your skills to help them continue and evolve their work you can find more information about this role and details of how to apply at: www.peridotportal.co.uk /stclarehospicetrustees
For a confidential discussion please contact our consultant at Peridot Partners: Philippa Fabry on 07772 902071 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: Monday 11th February 2019