St Clare Hospice
Un-remunerated but reasonable expenses will be paid
St Clare Hospice is a highly regarded independent charity providing comprehensive end-of-life healthcare for the West Essex and East Hertfordshire community. Building on the foundations of more than 25 years’ work, we support and care for people with terminal or life-limiting illnesses and their families and carers. Our core services include an 8-bed in-patient facility, Hospice at Home, and a range of day services, therapies, support and information for patients and their families. We launched a children’s bereavement service in June, and are planning to launch a Compassionate Neighbours project in early 2018: a volunteer-led programme aimed at reducing social isolation for people at the end of the life in their own homes.
St Clare Hospice is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee, receiving around 40% of its funding from the NHS. We rely on the generosity of our local community to fund the remaining 60% of our costs. This comes from many individuals, events, local businesses, trusts, schools, community groups, our shops, our lottery and gifts in Wills.
We have recently welcomed a new Chief Executive, and are embarking on the design of a new strategy that will aim to meet the needs of more people in the local area. The strategy will place more focus on community outreach and effective collaboration with local health and voluntary sector organisations. We are now looking to augment and diversify our board with three trustees who can contribute to the next exciting phase of our development. It will be important for one of these trustees to bring the right range of skills to step into the chair role as we anticipate our current chair standing down next year. Additionally, we are looking for a trustee to bring comprehensive company secretarial experience and the other trustee to bring strategic fundraising experience.
We are looking for candidates with substantive leadership or governance experience, and experience of operating at a strategic level. To fulfil the demands of the chair ‘designate’ trustee position, experience of chairing will be important, as will an enabling and collaborative style, to get the best contribution from other board members and support and mentor our new Chief Executive. Our fundraising trustee will be able to challenge and support our fundraising director as a critical friend, bring knowledge of strategic fundraising best practice, and be alert to some of the regulatory changes affecting fundraising practice such as GDPR. Our company secretary trustee will bring recent company secretarial experience, potentially within the charity sector.
As important as your experience are your values, which need to be aligned to our own: focusing on care, teamwork, quality and integrity.
If you are interested in bringing your skills to help us to continue and evolve our work you can find more information about this role and details of how to apply at: www.peridotportal.co.uk/stclarehospice
For a confidential discussion please contact our consultants at Peridot Partners: Emma Harvey on 07702 678653 or Philippa Fabry on 07772 902071.
Closing date: Monday 23rd October 2017